Do Your Part
Homeowners and commercial groundskeepers need to keep grass clippings and leaves from the streets, driveways, and other paved areas where they can wash away with storm water runoff. Grass clippings that fall on paved areas should be swept up!
For more tips or information on keeping our surface water clean, contact Public Works at (952) 474-3464.
What can you do to prevent contamination?
- Use pesticides and fertilizers sparingly.
- Properly dispose of insecticides, pesticides, paints, used motor oil etc. Do not pour them, or any other household products, into storm drains or onto the ground.
- Sweep up litter and debris from sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots – especially around storm drains. Do not put anything into storm drains.
- Pick up pet waste and dispose of properly.
- Don't overwater your lawn.
- Use a rain barrel or plant a rain garden.
- Go to a car wash or wash your car on your lawn so that the water infiltrates into the ground.
Start implementing these practices today to protect our water and encourage your neighbors to do the same!