Early Voting By Absentee Ballot
Residents who wish to vote early by absentee ballot or direct ballot for any election should follow the provisions below. Each process requires voters to complete an application.
To be eligible to vote in Minnesota you must:
- Be at least 18 years old on Election Day
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
- Have any felony conviction record discharged, expired or completed
- Not be under court-ordered guardian where a court has revoked your voting rights
- Not have been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
The absentee ballot process involves the use of envelopes. The entire absentee balloting (early voting) process can be completed in person at Excelsior City Hall, starting Monday, September 26 through Monday, November 7 for the November 8 General Election.
To vote early in person, voters must fill out an application when arriving at City Hall. Election workers will review the application and issue a ballot to vote on site.
Absentee ballot hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at Excelsior City Hall, 339 Third Street.
November 8, 2022 General Election - Absentee ballots are available starting Sept. 26, 2022.
Direct balloting allows residents to vote in person and place their ballots through a tabulator (just like on election day). This process is available one week prior to an election.
General Election: Direct balloting begins Nov. 1 for the Nov. 8 General Election.
Direct balloting hours at Excelsior City Hall, 339 Third Street:
Tuesday, November 1 to Thursday, November 3 - 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, November 5 - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Monday, November 7 -7:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
If you are unable to vote in person at City Hall, you can complete the online application process at mnvotes.org under "Other Ways to Vote".
Alternatively, you can download an absentee ballot application (PDF) and do one of the following:
- Fax it to Hennepin County Elections, 612-348-2151
- Attach it to an email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail it to: Hennepin County Elections, 300 South 6th Street, MC 012, Minneapolis, MN 55487-0012
If you're unable to download or complete the online application, please call 612-348-5151 to request that an absentee ballot application be sent to you.
Upon receipt of the completed and signed application, your absentee ballot will be sent to you.
Voters who have applied for and received their ballot in the mail, can return their voted ballot by mail or drop-off by 3 p.m. on November 8 (Election Day).
- Return voted ballot by mail through the U.S. Postal Service via the postage-paid envelope provided with your absentee ballot.
- Return voted ballot by drop-off at Excelsior City Hall, 339 Third Street (for Excelsior residents only). Ballots may be dropped off by the voter or on behalf of a voter. Those dropping off a ballot on behalf of a voter must be at least 18 years old and cannot deliver more than three ballots for absentee voters in any one election.
Ballot Drop-Off Hours:
Monday through Thursday (Sept. 26 - Nov. 3) 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, November 5 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Monday, November 7 7:30 a. m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday, November 8 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
You can track your absentee ballot using the Absentee Ballot Status Lookup feature on the Minnesota Secretary of State website. Visit the Secretary of State's website for more information.
If you are in the military or residing overseas, there is a different process for applying and voting by absentee ballot. Please visit the Hennepin County website for more information.
Voting equipment designed to assist voters with marking their ballot, Omniballot, will be at the polling place on Election Day for use by voters.
Voters unable to enter the polling place on election day may, with the assistance of two Election Judges from different political parties, register and vote without leaving their vehicle. Call the City of Excelsior at 952-474-5233 for more information.
Excelsior City Hall l 339 Third Street l Excelsior, MN 55331 l P 952-474-5233