The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has stated that 34 percent of Minnesota is experiencing severe drought. Due to prolonged dry weather that has resulted in expansion of severe drought, the Mississippi Headwaters watershed, which includes Excelsior, is moving to the Drought Warning Response Phase. Residents are encouraged to reduce water usage.
Here are some tips to consider for water conservation:
- Avoid lawn watering if possible. If necessary, only water lawns when needed and during the coolest part of the day. Healthy lawns only need approximately 1-1.5" of water per week. Watering should be done 1-2 times a week as necessary.
- Address any plumbing leaks or leaky appliances.
- Leaky toilets can waste up to 200 gallons of water per day! To check your toilet tank for a leak:
- Place colored dye in the tank above the bowl,
- Wait ten minutes.
- If the dye appears in the bowl without flushing the toilet, you have a leak.
- Run dishwashers when it's fully loaded
- Take shorter showers
- Wash only full loads of laundry
If drought conditions persist, more strict water conservations measures may be necessary to ensure capacity and an adequate supply of potable water.
Thank you for your cooperation!