Seasonal Restrictions on Water Use
To conserve the City's water resources and help the City's water system meet peak demands, from May 1 to September 30 of each year, the following outdoor water use restrictions shall be in effect for all outdoor use of water supplied by the City of Excelsior:
- Water supplied by the City of Excelsior may not be used to water lawns, sod or seeded areas between 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily.
- Properties with even-numbered addresses may only use water outdoors on even-number calendar days. Properties with odd-numbered address may only use water outdoors on odd-number calendar days.
- Homeowners' association and apartment complexes with multiple addressed that provide a common outdoor water irrigation system may only use water outdoors every other day. Such associations and complexes must inform the City that they have this type of system.
- The following uses are exempt from the seasonal water restrictions:
- Vehicle washing and watering trees, shrubs and flowers conducted by a person only using a squeeze activated type nozzle equipped with an automatic shutoff.
- Watering of new landscaping, sod or seed withing 30 days of installation, except between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily.
- Watering from a source other than the City's water supply. Under this exemption the City may inspect the property watered and the source of water used to ensure compliance. If the property utilizes water from a lake, the property must abide with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) permitting process, if required.
- Watering by employees and agents of the City in such instances where lawn, turf or grass used for playfields or other plantings and areas owned or operated by the City require more frequent watering to prevent damage.
- Reasonable and intermittent use of an outdoor watering system exclusively for residential recreational uses.
- Upon written request and approval of the Superintendent of Public Works and subject to any terms and conditions imposed by the Superintendent of Public Works with respect to the approval, any person owning or operating a commercial or business enterprise whose economic well-being is dependent on sprinkling, irrigation or watering of lawn, grass or turf owned, leased or operated by it. Such exemption shall only apply to the property specified in the written approval.
For more information, contact Public Works at (952) 474-3464.